WinGet by Microsoft
What is WinGet?
WinGet is a package manager for Windows 10 developed by Microsoft. It is designed to simplify the installation, updating, and management of software on Windows 10 devices. With WinGet, users can easily search for and install a wide range of applications directly from the command line or from the graphical interface of the Microsoft Store app.
WinGet uses a YAML-based manifest file to describe each package, including the package name, version, description, dependencies, and installation requirements. These manifest files are stored in a central repository, allowing WinGet to automatically download and install the latest version of each package.
One of the key benefits of WinGet is that it streamlines the process of installing and updating software on Windows 10, which can be a time-consuming and error-prone process. WinGet eliminates the need to manually download and install software from multiple sources, reducing the risk of malware and other security threats.
Overall, WinGet is a useful tool for Windows 10 users who want a simple and efficient way to manage their software installations.
How to get/install WinGet (if it’s not yet on your system)
To install WinGet on Windows 10, you can follow these steps:
- Open the Microsoft Store app on your Windows 10 device.
- Search for “WinGet” in the search bar.
- Click on the “Get” button next to the “WinGet” app in the search results.
- Wait for the app to download and install on your device.
Alternatively, you can also install WinGet using Windows PowerShell. Here are the steps:
- Open Windows PowerShell as an administrator.
- Run the following command to enable the WinGet feature:
dism.exe /online /add-capability /capabilityname:Microsoft.Windows.AppPackageManager~~~~0.0.1.0
- Once the feature is enabled, run the following command to install: WinGet:
Invoke-WebRequest -Uri https://aka.ms/winget-cli-latest -OutFile winget-cli-latest.msi; Start-Process msiexec.exe -Wait -ArgumentList '/I winget-cli-latest.msi /quiet'
- Wait for the installation process to complete.
After installing WinGet, you can start using it to install and manage software packages on your Windows 10 device. You can use the command-line interface or the graphical user interface provided by the Microsoft Store app to manage packages with WinGet.
Install WinGet directly from the GitHub Repository
- Open the winget GitHub page.
- Under the “Latest” section, (scroll down -> look for Assets) then click the “Microsoft.DesktopAppInstaller_8wekyb3d8bbwe.appxbundle” download link.
- Double-click the file to launch the winget installer.
- Click the Update button.
Start using WinGet
Search for Command Prompt or PowerShell or Terminal and click the top result to open the terminal.
Use the winget tool to install and manage applications
More info on GitHub https://github.com/microsoft/winget-cli